Thursday, March 6, 2008

Smoke 'Em Out

Since Illinois went smoke free in January, I've gotten less used to cigarette smoke. I love it. It's like I'm a kid again, and my parents are protecting me from harmful things. I'm never around it, so when grandpa smokes, it stands out as an odd thing.

I got into a cab today that reeked of smoke. The driver said, "it's OK if you want to smoke in here." "Clearly," I replied, "No thanks. I'll just chew on this lingering secondhand."

Cabbies are becoming more lenient as drunk people pour out of bars, desperate for a cig. Well, Cabbie, I guarantee I'll tip you more for providing a clean environment for me than Drunkie will for letting him bend the rules. In my experience, drunk folks feel entitled to special treatment. I just want to not sneeze from smoke allergies and stink like your stale cigarette after I get out of the cab. In fact, I can refer to my Passenger Bill of Rights and Responsibilities right here on the back of the seat. As a passenger I have the right and responsibility to not smoke while riding in the cab. As a cab driver, you have the responsibility to have some balls and tell your customers no.

No comments: