Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lucky Girl

I have an amazing mother. She does all the classic things we expect mothers to do: bake treats, proofread papers, sew buttons, etc. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It came to my attention recently that something else she does is directly linked to my high self-esteem. In addition to being super supportive and giving feedback on various normal things,
she compliments me for nothing. For example:

Me: "Hey, the sun just came out."

Mother: "Good eye."

This exchanged actually happened last weekend. Now, we all know it doesn't take a Mensa member to see the difference between sun and no sun. But for that moment, I've really done something wonderful. It took me thirty years to actually hear her do that, but since that second of realization, I hear it all the time. And I love it. There's not one conversation we have where she doesn't say "good job." I'm very lucky.

Good job, Mom.

No comments: