Monday, April 9, 2007

Brother, Can You Spare a Dime

There is an enormous wealth of talent in Chicago. Actors, musicians, artists, improvisors, etc... If you're lucky you can make a living at it. One of the things I love about living in a large city is that everywhere you turn is an opportunity to be entertained.

If you don't like paying for your entertainment, I recommend the musicians that camp out at El stops. Some of the most talented people I've ever heard sing and play have been at the Grand and State stop on the red line. One woman had the most gorgeous gospel pipes I have ever heard. Last week 2 guys played and sang an awesome rendition of Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World" - you know it: "don't know much about history... don't know much biology..." These people should be selling tickets for major money instead of accepting dimes, buttons and paper clips in their guitar cases from stupid CTA passengers and having to stop their songs because the rumbling of the approaching train is too loud. Who knew that under their dirty clothes and saggy demeanor hides a raw talent more impressive than those EMI artists could ever hope to have?

Every so often, I'm bowled over by a performance. It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, it's the most powerful thing to experience. As I'm sure you can tell by that last statement I've had a pretty uneventful life; I'm hoping having a child or pledging a lifelong commitment to a guy will be impressive, but we'll see.

For those who don't mind forking over a few bones for some Friday night entertainment, read on. Most recently, I've discovered The Improvised Shakespeare Company at iO Chicago. They take an audience suggestion for a title of a never-produced Shakespearean play and from that create a 90 minute long-form improvised romp. These guys are so smart! They intimidate me as a performer. I can only pray I'll be that good one day. And, it's hilarious. I can count on both hands the amount of times in my life I've laughed so hard I cried. This show is responsible for at least 3. Any improv group that can work in an impromptu shout-out to He-Man using iambic dialogue is OK with me. Wow, I'm a nerd. I'm a groupie for Shakespearean improv. Check it out if you can: http://www.myspace.com/improvisedshakespeare

Speaking of making a living as an actor, I just shot a national commercial for KFC. Here's hoping they air the hell out of it. Then I can buy those boobs I've always wanted.

Eat it, enemies from my past and present! I'm on TV!

1 comment:

freddie said...

Congrats you sexy monster! I miss you. You are one talented lady. Nahmean. Wink wink.

hoohah!