Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bullship

Blogging is going to be a challenge on the ship. I realize I used to take the internet for granted, Here, it's a treat! You're in luck if you can find a decent signal, and when you do, it's expensive! Wait, a second. Am I complaining??? Forgive me. I'll take a slow expensive internet connection over snow ANY DAY.

This experience is full of contradictions. Like, I live in sheer paradise, but I can't help finding things to bitch about. There are some creature comforts I miss.. like food. Especially:

Grilled cheese sandwiches
Chipotle
Microwave popcorn
Box macaroni and cheese

However, I can have steak and lobster, fresh fruit, decadent desserts, sushi, and all kinds of unique meals, for free. What's my problem? Come on, Sarah. Get it together. Chipotle is just tacos. You can actually get real ones in Mexico.

How sweet is this? A married couple approached me last week and handed me a bag. Inside was this adorable little painted bobble head snail (they're all the rage in Guatemala). They saw me laughing at it when we were in port, so they bought it for me. It's my first random gift from "fans." It made me realize that every week, almost 2000 people see our shows on Tuesday night, and the rest of the week, I'm recognizable... and trapped aboard a vessel in the middle of the sea with them. Weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, Sarah. I distinctly remember sitting around my apartment with a fresh batch of Kraft Mac n Cheese after digging my car out of the ice, and saying to myself, "At least I'm not eating lobster in the Carribean". Then I went to my room finished my book HOW TO WRITE RUN-ON SENTENCES.

Congrats on your fan swag. You deserve every bobble-head creature you receive.

Library Mary said...

AWWWWW......Sarah, that is so cute. Ship life is definitely a challenge and I think J is going to find out exactly HOW challenging it is when she takes her next tour of duty. The first one was a dream come true considering all the places they visited. Now, it's in and out of Miami 24/7. But, she's appreciative of having a US city as her home port.

I didn't know until just this week that you were on one of the ships - I'll be checking back to see how you're doing. If you get a chance, visit my blog at www.MarysBloggingSpot.blogspot.com

Have fun - be safe