Friday, February 2, 2007

Life Lessons

I met an interesting character today at the bus stop. I shall call her Old Lady. OL for short.
I was minding my own in the blistering cold when OL broke the cardinal rule of ignoring your fellow man while waiting for public transportation. She sidled up to me, looked me up and down, and said:

OL: What's your name?

Me: (slightly aback) Sarah. What's yours?

OL: Anne Marie Murphy.
From here on she will be known as AMM

AMM: You should be wearing a hat.

Me: I suppose so. Thanks.

AMM: You see that guy over there?
She motions to an unfortunate-looking dude, also waiting for the bus

Me: Yup.

AMM: He's shifty. I have a six-sense about these things. You watch out for rapists.

Me: Good call. I forgot about that.

At this moment the bus pulled up with its signature screech, and we went to our respective seats without so much as a "take care." But I'll never forget this crazy lady that may have saved my chastity from rape at 10:30 in the morning on the deserted intersection of Belmont, Lincoln and Ashland.

I love this city. And miss my car.

1 comment:

Scott McMillin said...

Nice. Adding you to my feeds. I look forward to more choice & juicy bits from your life. I want to know what the young people get up to today.